How to Fix Scratched Sunglasses
Ah, the bane of every sunglasses lover: scratches! Whether they're from accidentally dropping them or simply the result of everyday wear and tear, scratched sunglasses can be a real downer. Not only do they obstruct our vision, but they can also diminish the aesthetic appeal of our favorite pair. But fret not! In this guide, we’ll be exploring some effective methods on how to fix scratched sunglasses. So, before you consider tossing your beloved shades, give these techniques a try.
Not just for your teeth!
- Materials: White toothpaste (non-gel), soft cloth, water.
- Clean the sunglasses with a microfiber cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Dab a small amount of toothpaste onto the scratch.
- Using a soft cloth, gently rub the toothpaste over the scratch in a circular motion.
- Rinse with cool water and dry with a clean cloth.
- If the scratch remains, repeat the process.
Note: Avoid toothpaste with baking soda, whitening properties, or gel formulas. These can cause more harm than good.
2. Baking Soda
The kitchen's secret weapon.
- Materials: Baking soda, water, soft cloth.
- Mix equal parts of baking soda and water to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to the scratch using a soft cloth.
- Gently rub in a circular motion for a few seconds.
- Rinse with cool water and dry.
- Check the scratch, and if necessary, repeat.
3. Car Wax
For those tougher scratches.
- Materials: Car wax, soft cloth.
- Clean the sunglasses thoroughly.
- Apply a small amount of car wax to the scratch.
- Rub gently with a soft cloth.
- Buff off any excess wax, and inspect the scratch.
Note: Avoid getting wax on the frames, especially if they're plastic.
4. Windshield Water Repellant
An unexpected remedy.
- Materials: Windshield water repellant, soft cloth.
- Clean the sunglasses.
- Spray a small amount of the repellent onto a cloth.
- Gently rub the scratch.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes, then wipe away.
5. Buy a Repair Kit
If DIY methods aren’t your thing or if the scratches are quite deep, consider purchasing a sunglasses scratch repair kit. These kits usually contain everything you need and come with step-by-step instructions.
Tips to Avoid Future Scratches:
- Always use a protective case.
- Clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Avoid placing sunglasses lens-down on surfaces.
- Keep them away from sandy or gritty environments.
Scratches on sunglasses are inevitable, but they don't mean the end of the road for your favorite pair. With a bit of care, some household items, and a touch of patience, you can bring your sunglasses back to life. Remember, it’s always essential to handle them gently to prolong their life and keep them looking fresh. Happy fixing!
Did these tips help you? Share your experience in the comments below! And if you found this post useful, be sure to share it with your friends and fellow sunglasses enthusiasts.